Monday, September 12, 2011

My Thoughts On The Presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower


Eisenhower took over after Truman to become the first Republican president since Herbert Hoover.  


Despite being from a different party, Eisenhower didn't try to destroy New Deal issues like Social Security. In fact he actually expanded them to make them better. I swear today, he would have switched parties after seeing how far-right the GOP has become. 


He was also responsible for the creation of a lot of the public highways in America. Which I think was great for the economy in the long run for transportation of goods and travelling. 


He also saw the Cold War rise to new tensions during his term. I think he did a good job at keeping peace, but showing our enemies that we can be forceful if provoked. 


He also was a friend to civil rights. Even though his civil rights bills were weak compared to one in 1964, it was still milestone progress for it's time. 


I think Eisenhower wasn't the greatest president in history, but he was an awfully good one. One of the few presidents for which I have almost no criticism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment