Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System) Review


I'm very fond of the Ninja Gaiden series. I loved the Xbox game, Dragon Sword, and the first two NES classics. However there was a Sega Master System NG that was developed by Sega not Tecmo. I was always interested to see how it played. 



It looks a lot more colorful than the NES games, and the gameplay is pretty similar. However it does have a much faster pace to it, which I think is more it's downfall than it's advantage. Jumping around is floating, and you will fall into many unwanted places. 



Speaking of unwanted places, see those two pits? You will fall into pits like that a lot. Hit by a bomb? Death. Hit by other Ninja Guy? Death. Misjudge your jump? Death. 



After some frustrating trial and error, I managed to make it to the first boss. I really liked Mr. Sumo man a lot, since he was hard, but wasn't impossible when I found out his moves and how to defeat him. 


The rest of the game jumps up in difficulty after that. The next stage is Toyko or something, and apparently Yakuza, those fucking eagles, and Japanese cameramen hate you worse than Hitler. It's a decent try by Sega, but I think it's unworthy of it's series legacy. 

Score: 5.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment